CuttingWater

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kingdom Swim, Newport VT

Flashback: 25 years to the my 1st Freshwater 10 mile swim at Candlewood Lake, Sherwood/Danbury CT,

Freshwater feels so heavy in comparison to the buoyancy salt water gives....

so what a great workout, yesterday was at the 10 mile Kingdom Swim in Newport VT. Although we were only 6 miles from the Canadian border, the water temperature was balmy, probably in the low 80's, warm enough to burn some calories and get a touch of dehydration.

The USA Northeast has been in a long heat wave for the past month and the water tables are slowly going down. The water level was 2 feet lower than last year, a significant factor to the weed problem. Tobey Saracino and Dennis Dressel had warned me about the weeds, but they said we would only just touch them... not. This year with the low water, we were swimming through them, very creepy.

But I have to say, the Kingdom Swim, is in the beautiful, green mountains of Vermont and the Directors of the swim ran a wonderful event. The swim was part of a town Aquafest, kicked off by a parade the evening before the swim. Funny Hats was the theme, and George Hunihan transformed into Elton John for the night, a fun evening.

Saturday morning, was a beautiful and overcast. The campground where the swim was going to start and finish was waking up slowly. We arrived at 6:20am, after getting a quick cup of coffee, so lucky to find a place open that early in the quiet, sleepy hills of northern Vermont.

The 10 mile was marked fine, plus I didn't have to worry, I knew I wasn't going to win, so we;d be able to follow the lead pack.

Janet was wonderful guide, only having problems with one other kayaker and newbie swimmer.
Most of the morning was overcast, thank goodness, because when the sun did find it's way out the heat lamp intensified.

After 4 hours 27 minutes, I almost one more person but finished 11 over all, and 4th woman, not bad for the old lady.

I think the heat certainly got to me, dehydration set in, even though I continued to drink fluids. My brain felt as if it was pulled away from my skull. Give me cool water any day.

A lovely get away weekend, a good work out, and rest before getting back to work and ready for the 'Swim Across the Sound'. 

Dream, Prepare, Succeed
http://give.stvincents.org/ChannelingCAREmarcy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2015 ... Swimming for Homes for the Brave

After spending the past 20 years paddling from Dover to France, it is time to venture into new waters, while helping some special people.
Soon, I will be traveling with my A-team to Scotland to swim the length of the famous Loch Ness.
As always, I try to help a Foundation raise funds and awareness and I thank you for interest and support.
I am deeply troubled with the thought of homeless individuals, especially in our US Veteran population.

That is why I am teaming up with our Connecticut-based “Homes for the Brave”. Can you imagine not having a place to call home?

Here is more information about Homes for the Brave! -Facebook pages – https://www.facebook.com/pages/ABRIHomes-for-the-Brave/199613606735630?ref=hl

- Annual Appeal with more information about our financials and programs- http://www.homesforthebrave.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HFTB-2014-Annual-Report-FINAL.pdf

-Check donations can be mailed to the following address:
Homes for the Brave
655 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604

- Donations can be made online as well: https://homesforthebrave.isecuresites.com/products/index.php?type=1110

Please write “Loch Ness Swim/Marcy” to track your donation.


I will always be dedicating my swimming to all those battling cancer and in the memory of 4 special people in my life. Cancer first hit my family when I was young. My grand-aunt Eleanor Kersavage, passed away with uterine cancer and my Auntie Bea Halchak battled with brain cancer.

On January 1, 2002, our LEHY family lost Nikki Giampolo to bone cancer, just turning 16 years old. Her spirit still lives on in our East Hartford swim team.

In July of 2009, my brother-in-law, Gregory Allen Urban, who passed away, after a valient battle with lung cancer. I can see him now, talking about cars and projects around the house, music and his family.

I know Aunties, Eleanor and Bea, Nikki, Greg and all the angels will help me CUT through all this water this summer.

The St. Vincent's Medical Center Foundation, based in Bridgeport, CT provides financial support for the needs that Health insurance companies don't cover, in addition to providing affordable cancer screening, wigs, medication and other things to make life easier for those suffering with cancer and their families.

Please make a donation, and thank you.

Online donations can be made at: http://give.stvincents.org

or you can send a check through the post to:

Swim Across the Sound
St. Vincent's Medical Center Foundation
2800 Main Street
Bridgeport, CT 06606
(203)576-5451

Thank you so very much, peace and good health to all.